Cibolo is translated from the Spanish language for Buffalo, which roamed the area and the Spanish herded off the banks of the Cibolo Creek. This city’s earliest settlers were German, but the steep banks of the area creeks made it difficult to settle, until bridges were constructed and quickly transformed this cattle area to a thriving city that benefits with its short commute to Randolph AFB, Fort Sam Houston and San Antonio.
A little bit of history; Jacob Schlather is credited to being one of the first settlers in the late 1860’s. The original name for Cibolo was Fromme’s store and started out as a small village on the outskirts of San Antonio. With the expansion of the San Antonio Railroad, the name Cibolo was submitted for a post office and started appearing on the maps as a stop called Cibolo Valley.
Cibolo and Schertz somewhat intertwine, one side of the street can be Schertz, and the other side can be Cibolo. The two city’s co exists and shares many of the same amenities.
Cibolo has the pleasure, like Schertz, to be within short commutes to many recreational and amenities.